Only successful candidates will proceed to the structured interview. There are several things you can do now to prepare for the interview. A good way to begin is by considering the following information:
- Investigate the position
- Read the recruitment literature
- Talk with deputies
- Consider participating in the ride-along program
- Take a correctional facility tour
AREAS OF EVALUATION:
- Your interest in the position
- Communication skills
POSSIBLE AREAS OF QUESTIONING:
- Departmental knowledge
- Do you understand the duties of a Deputy Sheriff?
- Why do you want to be a Deputy?
- Why did you choose Law Enforcement as a career?
- What have you done to prepare yourself for the position?
- What will be the most challenging aspect for you in becoming a deputy?
DUTIES OF A DEPUTY SHERIFF:
- Preservation of life
- Apprehension of criminals
- Recovery of stolen property
- Protect life and property
- Preserve public peace
- Prevent crime
- Detect and arrest violators of the law
- Remember, first impressions are important.
- Departmental grooming standards are recommended, but not mandatory.
- Proper business attire is recommended.
- Be polite and courteous
- Make eye contact
- Be honest
- Take time to think before you speak